Biot Savart's Law

The Biot-Savart Law is an equation that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire and used to determine the magnetic field at any point due to a current carrying conductor.


The magnitude of the magnetic field   $d\vec{B}$ at a distance   $\vec{r}$ from a wire element   $d\vec{l}$ carrying a current I is found to be proportional to I, to the length   $d\vec{l}$ and inversely to the square of the distance $\left |\vec{r} \right |$ . The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the line element   $d\vec{l}$ as well as the radius $\vec{r}$. The Biot-Savart Law is given by ,
 \[d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu _{0}I}{4\pi }\frac{d\vec{l}\times \vec{r}}{\left | \vec{r} \right |^{3}}\]

Magnetic field due to current flowing in infinitely long straight wire:
The magnitude of magnetic field for the wire element,
 \[dB=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{4\pi }\frac{dlSin\theta }{r^{2}}\]


Integrating for infinitely long wire,


 \[B=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dB=2\int_{0}^{\infty }dB=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{Sin\theta}{r^{2}}dl\]

Now, from the figure r2=l2+R2  and  $Sin\theta =\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^{2}+l^{2}}}$ 


 \[\therefore B=\frac{\mu_{0I}}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{dl}{(R^{2}+l^{2})^\frac{3}{2}}\]

Therefore the magnitude of the field  

 \[B=\frac{\mu_{0I}}{2\pi R}\]